Mark Tomlinson

Create Your Badge

Monday, February 20, 2006

The Observer | World | 37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty

The Observer | World | 37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty: "Well-paid work only goes to the university-educated. Many others who just complete high school face a bleak future. In Texas more than a third of students entering public high schools now drop out. These people are entering the fragile world of the working poor, where each day is a mere step away from tragedy."

Indeed...surprising? No.

I may be from the last generation who could have managed to succeed on just a high school diploma. Now mind you, I am not saying that is all I have. I am not a fool--at least in this regard. In fact, I have seen the requirements for jobs (over the past 4 years alone) jump from undergraduate to graduate and even post-graduate degrees in many CS related fields. The curve only continues to steepen.