Mark Tomlinson

Create Your Badge

Saturday, July 01, 2006

More on net neutrality (as if more needed to be said)

PBS | I, Cringely . June 29, 2006 - If we build it they will come: "My Internet service isn't free, is yours? I'm paying Comcast every month and from what I can glean from the company's annual report, they seem to be making a profit from my business. Is it enough of a profit? Well they'd always like more, but the current return must be good enough because they keep my bits flowing."

Not only do they keep the bits flowing, I seem to be getting more for less over time. Really, true...

I understand the investment the infrastructure has cost, but by and large the basic copper should have had its cost recouped long ago and maintenance, is well, the cost of doing business and should be covered by my bill also.

As for the adding more speed/bandwidth over time, it is merely a competition issue. This is one case where having the cable and telcos compete has certainly meant they NEED to compete.